$59 HVAC Checkup.
$59 Diagnosis fee with repair completed by Cool Breeze. Click here to find out more.
Same Day Service.
We are prompt with our service and will meet with you the same day that you call.
What is Geothermal Heating?
May 17, 2017
Geothermal defines anything that is produced by the internal heat of the earth. Relative to the HVAC field, geothermal heating is simply heating your home with heat extracted from the earth! Let’s take a look at how this unique way of heating works, and how it can benefit you and your home.
What is geothermal heating?
Approximately half of the solar energy the earth receives is absorbed by the ground. The earth surrounding your home maintains a constant temperature of between 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit all year long. Drilling into the earth provides a way to extract that heat and channel it into your home to provide a safe and efficient way to keep you and your family warm and comfortable during the colder months of the year.
How is geothermal heating installed?
- First, an HVAC technician will survey the size of your home and the soil types/climate conditions where you reside.
- They will then use this information to determine the specific heating needs of your home, and the size and placement specifications of the heating system.
- Next, they install a system of pipes, called an earth loop, underneath the earth’s surface outside of your home.
- They connect these pipes to an indoor handling unit, called a heat pump.
- The pipes carry heat from the ground and move it into the indoor unit, which compresses the heat to higher temperatures and distributes the heat throughout your home.
What are the benefits of geothermal heating?
- Environmental Impact: According to the U.S. Dept. of Energy and the EPA, geothermal heating systems are the most environmentally friendly way to heat your home.
- Operates Quietly: Unlike other heating and cooling systems, a geothermal heating system has no HVAC unit installed on the outside of your home. The piping is below the ground so no added noise is present during operation.
- Low Cost: Your typical gas furnace has an average efficiency rating of about 94%. The efficiency rating of a geothermal heating system is 400%! This alone can help reduce energy costs in your home by up to 70%.
Looking for a great Maryland geothermal heating company? Cool Breeze is a residential and commercial HVAC contractor in Maryland servicing Carroll and its surrounding counties. Our staff is well educated on geothermal heating, how it works, and how to use it to heat your home more efficiently. For further information on geothermal heating or to set up a free estimate, contact Cool Breeze today!
Anne Arundel County HVAC Services: Annapolis (21401, 21403, 21409), Arnold (21012), Crofton (21114), Crownsville (21032), Gambrills (21054), Glen Burnie (21060, 21061), Hanover (21076), Jessup (20794), Pasadena (21122), Severn (21144), Severna Park (21146).
Baltimore County HVAC Services: Catonsville (21228), Cockeysville (21030), Homeland (21212), Lutherville (21093), Monkton (21111), Mount Washington (21209), Owings Mills (21117), Parkton (21120), Phoenix (21131), Pikesville (21208), Randalstown (21133), Reisterstown (21136), Roland Park (21210), Ruxton (21204), Timonium (21204), Towson (21204, 21286), Upperco (21155), Woodstock (21163).
Carroll County HVAC Services: Eldersburg (21784), Finksburg (21048), Hampstead (21074), Manchester (21102), Marriottsville (21104), Mount Airy (21771), New Windsor (21776), Sykesville (21784), Taneytown (21787), Union Bridge (21791), Westminster (21157, 21158), Woodbine (21797)
Howard County HVAC Services: Columbia (21044, 21045, 21046), Clarksville (21029), Cooksville (21723), Dayton (21036), Elkridge (21075), Ellicott City (21042, 21043), Fulton (20759), Glenelg (21737), Glenwood (21738), Guilford (20763), Hanover (21075, 21076), Highland (20777), Marriottsville (21104), Savage (20763), West Friendship (21784), Woodbine (21797).
Montgomery County HVAC Services: Ashton (20861), Bethesda (20814, 20815, 20817), Brookville (20833), Cabin John (20818), Chevy Chase (20815), Damascus (20872), Derwood (20855), Gaithersburg (20882, 20878, 20879), Germantown (20876), Kensington (20895), Olney (20832), Potomac (20854), Rockville (20850, 20851, 20853), Silver Spring (20904, 20905, 20906)